Saturday, August 13, 2011

On Going Downhill

When I celebrated my 50th birthday, I began hearing how I was "Over the Hill" and "Going Downhill". At first it bothered me. Downhill seemed some how bad.
Now in my 70's it does not seem so bad.
On a recent walk, I skipped one Metro stop to get on another about a half mile away....All DOWNHILL. Not sharply down hill, but definitely, .....down.
It was a pleasure.... Much better than walking...UPHILL.
I live almost equally distant from two other Metro stops. I consistently walk down hill to one and then, upon returning, get off the uphill stop, to walk down hill back to my apartment.

So...going DOWNHILL is not so bad.

If at 50, people told me I had an UPHILL life ahead of me, I would have been saddened. Imagine facing an uphill life after 50. Not for me.

So, next time someone tells you that life is all "Downhill" from here, just say thanks...I'll take it.

No comments: