Tuesday, August 19, 2008

First Day in Denver

Well, I arrived unevenfully. The best way to travel.

To anybody who may have commented on my first posting, I have not yet read your comment as I do not yet know how, in fact.

So, surely, I have not replied.

I will learn how to do those things....eventually.

For now, it is a one way street.



Nothing to report so far.

On the local TV last night, there was much news about all the activities surrounding the Convention.

There will be lots to do outside the actual Convention building (Pepsi Center, the home of the hockey and basketball teams). But, of course, the most important activity will be in the building itself.

Barbara and I will do everything we can to get in.....short of getting jailed for crashing.



The local newspaper had an article about how the high rollers will get the box seats at the Invesco Center where Obama will give his acceptance speech on Thursday night. That does not include us....alas.

We will consider ourselves luckey if we even get into the stadium at all, where the football team (Broncos) play.



My goal for today is to go downtown to scout out the area.

Got to go now.



But first, I cannot help sharing a thought I had on the plane.

I was reading the AARP Mag.

Two items of note here.

1) I thought Obama did a much better job than McCain in addressing the issues of importance to AARP age people. He answered the questions on health care and economic issues much more directly than did McCain.

It is clear (To me anyway) that he would be a better choice soley on selfish reasons. That is not why he has my vote, but if I were just selfish, he would also have it.

2) There are over 50% of the electorate who are over 50 uears old. 41% of the total population. So, if people vote their self interest, thats a plus for Obama.

But, do they vote with their brains or their heart?

If with their heart, I fear they will be afraid of a candidate of just 47 years. Of course, McCain is the opposite extreeme at 72.

But, I worry that older people will feel more comfortable with a senior figure than a "kid".

Of course, none of this should be a reason to vote for a person. But, I fear these kinds of things count more than the actual issues with much of the voting population. Not me of course......Right?......Right.....

Enough pontificating.....But, what is a Blog for anyway.......

Alan

No comments: