Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Full Day of Exploring

I sincerely hope I am not boring you by posting twice in one day.
I had quite a full day today. Even if it did not actually start until afternoon. After my earlier Blog entry.
First, I walked a half hour from my sister's house to the Light Rail. Nice sunny, low humidity day.
Half hour ride downtown. $3.00 full fare one way. I realized after I bought my ticket in the machine that I could have gotten it for half fare as Senior.
Well, first lesson learned.
Got off at Colorado Convention Center stop (About half hour ride). Total trip door to door was about 1 hour. Very short walk to the CC from the Light Rail stop.. should come in handy when Barb and I actually have to be there at some appointed time.
The symbol in front of the COLORADO Convention Center is a Bear.
Isn't a bear the state Symbol of CA? Well this one is blue. Ca's is brown, I believe. Does Colo really have blue bears in the wild?
The Center was locked up tight. So, I could not get in. Not surprising as I am sure they do not people wandering around (Planting a bomb, perhaps? Yikes, I hope nobody official is reading this. Never know who is "data mining" these Blogs. Am I getting paranoid?) the week before the place is loaded with political big wigs.
The actual ceremonies for the Convention will be at the Pepsi Center. But, many meetings will take place at the CCC. Barb and I will both be working there. So, we hope there will be many big wigs for us to see, impress, and hit up for tickets to the official stuff. Us and the other 50,000 volunteers.
But, we will be the most impressive....Right?

With it being impossible to get into the CCC, what does a Tour Guide do on his holiday? What else?....Take a tour.
You got it...I took a bus tour of Historic Denver. "Banjo Billy's Bus Tour"
A recovered old school bus, outfitted with.....lounge chair seats, even a couch. My buses in DC are not like this.
One of the more entertaining I have ever taken. Not a site tour, but a history tour. Full of interesting stories of early Denver. Gave me lots of ideas about Washington touring.
The cost was "Pay optional" as he was just starting the business and was interested in my comments. Especially when he heard that I was a Washington, DC Tour Guide myself.
In the end, I learned that he would be charging $20 for the tour. 1 1/2 hrs. So, I gave him the $20 anyway. In fact, later I learned that for Seniors, the rate was only $16. Well, he was worth a $4 tip. I was his only customer.

Dinner at Teds in LoDo....Lower Downtown. Buffalo burger and FF, of course.

Refueled, I was off to see the Pepsi Center and Invesco.
Nothing very impressive about either of them, in fact. I sure hope there will be shuttles between them. As it was quite a hike from one to the other.

Finally a Light Rail ride home from Invesco to the stop near Bunny's house. $1.50 this time (Senior Rate). This will be a convenient way to get home after the acceptance speech....If we get into it, that is.

All in all, a full and successful day.

Tomorrow there will be no report as I am taking the day off from Convention stuff to visit friends in Ft Collins.

Back on Thursday and prepare for Barb's arrival on Friday.
Hope this was not too long.
Alan

No comments: