Saturday, August 30, 2008

On Being a Democrat

My first foray into non-Convention topics.

I was born into a liberal Democrat family in NYC in 1940. My father was a lifetime Democrat and my uncle had a portrait of Franklyn Roosevelt over the couch in the living room. So, you know how I started my political life.

The first Presidential campaign I remember was Stevenson vs Eisenhower, when I proudly wore a a Stevenson button to school. (I wish I still had it)
But, I was not really emotionally committed to him. I was not really mature enough to follow politics. I was more interested in the Yankees.

The first emotional commitment I remember making was to John Kennedy. I worked on his campaign and was so very happy when he won, albeit, by a very close margin. I remember clearly that my Democrat father expressed some sincere worry about Kennedy's Catholicism. I wonder to this day how he actually voted. I never asked him.
(I mention this because of its relevancy to Obama's color. Will lifetime Dems harbor such similar worries? I surely hope not. But, racism runs deep in this country.) Most historian quote the "Ask not what your country..........." as the centerpiece of his inaugural speech. I connect more to his opening remarks on how "...the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans." I was 20 and part of that new generation. It still sends shivers through my body to repeat those words.

Like the rest of the world, I was crushed by Kennedy's death. I backed Johnson in the next election. But, not enthusiastically. I always respected his abilities on the domestic side. But, doubted his skill in foreign affairs. Those worries, of course, surfaced as the Viet Nam war deepened.

Next came Humphrey. Another quandary. A lifetime liberal (Like me) who was loyal to Johnson and the war (unlike me). Quite a dilemma. So, while I voted for him, I never strongly backed Humphrey. My vote was more against Nixon, than for Humphrey.

Next came Carter. Another worrisome Democrat. Would one term as Ga governor give him the credentials for leading the country? Another case of a man whose philosophy I strongly agreed with. But, about whom I had strong worries. In my opinion, those worries came home to roost. I have always felt that a President must be a strong, decisive leader. Carter kept changing his mind on important things. A weak leader, whose heart was in the right place. But, whose executive skills left much to be desired.

So, that brings me to Reagan. Just the opposite of Carter. An excellent executive, who surrounded himself with trusted advisers and followed their advise. Alas, bad advise. But, the wrong political philosophy. Big tax cuts, big military build up. Many say the tax cuts pulled us out of a economic mess and eventually led to the Prosperity of the Clinton years. I am not a professional Economist. Many say the military buildup led to the eventual collapse of Communist Russia. Again., that is beyond my expertise to tell. So, I cannot say. But, Reagan will go down in history (Has already, in fact) as an historic President. He transformed America into a conservative country. An awful transformation (In my opinion) But, a historic one.

George Bush Sr. A big disappointment to me right from the start of his campaign. At first, I had high hopes for him. Originally, he had been a liberal opponent, in the primaries, to Reagan. So, I hoped that once he could be his own man, his liberal, albeit Republican, tendencies might come out. How wrong I was in that hope.

Finally, we got a charismatic candidate in Bill Clinton. But, who was this obscure guy from Arkansas? Would that give him the experience to lead the country? Thank god for Ross Perot. He allowed Clinton to squeak in as a minority president. But, my fears were vindicated. Talk about inexperience. Clinton had that in spades for his first two years. Remember his first cabinet choices? I have tried to put them out of my mind. And, of course Hillary's ill fated health care initiative. But, Bill Clinton was a quick learner. I believe his mind borders on brilliant. By the end of his first term and into his second, we finally had a centrist liberal president with the right philosophy and the skills to execute them.
But, the conservative right dogged him at every step. And he gave them plenty of ammunition. I was living in London for much of Clinton's second term. So, I was kind of out of the loop for most of that term. I must admit to being somewhat embarrassed by how his sexual shenanigans were joked about in London.

So, next we come to Al Gore. Here we go again. Another man with the right political philosophy and poor executive skills. Thanks to an awful campaign and Ralph Nader, we got George Bush II. What more can I say. A crushing defeat for me .....and for the country.

John Kerry ....... God, can't the Democrats get it right? Right from the start, Kerry was all wrong. Even a lifelong Democrat like me could not really determine where he stood on any issues. Much too intimidated by the still very powerful conservative tenor of the nation. By this time, I was retired and had plenty of time to devote to campaign working. Living in Northern Va, I was ideally located to have an impact with my work. Indeed, I worked hard for Kerry. But, to be honest, it was not in favor of Kerry but, in opposition to Bush. I bought fully into the slogan...."Anybody but Bush" Honestly, that is no basis for a vote. But, it was mine.

Once I got the political bug, I continued working in the off year election. This time for Webb in Va. Another case of not being enthusiastic about our candidate, but being enthusiastic about winning the Senate. Nobody gave Webb much of a chance against George Allen at the start. But, finally, a Republican screwed up. And Webb won. I made the 9th most phone calls for Webb in Va (Or maybe it was Northern Va, I never really found that out). Anyway, I worked by butt off for Webb.....and finally was rewarded with a victory. It was so sweet. Still is.

So, that brings me to Obama. Finally, I have someone who I really love. Someone who I respect. Someone who inspires me. Now at 68, I am not one of his young devotees. But, one of his devout followers never the less. Again, as a lifelong Democrat, I see Roosevelt in him in his plans for the country. I see Kennedy in him in his youthful vigor. I see Clinton (Bill, that is) in him in his charisma. Such a combination cannot fail.... Right?
Well folks, anything is possible with the electorate. Will they succumb to the characterization of inexperience? Will they succumb to their latent racism, even if they will never say so in polls? Will they really think he is a Muslim (In fact, even if he was, not that I believe it for a second, would that invalidate his candidacy? That's a topic for another treatise.) Will seniors worry about his youth? Will women be disappointed in Hillary's defeat, even if they never say so openly? I am not a professional political expert. But, even the experts seem divided. Trust me, friends, it is far from in the bag. Even with his charisma and the country being fed up with Bush. I will work hard on his campaign in Va. And....hope for the best.
I beseech all my friends to work in their back yards.

Oh, while I am at it, we need to win overwhelming majorities in Congress. But, again, a topic for another treatise.

Regards from a lifetime Democrat.
Alan Weinstein

No comments: